Wednesday, March 25, 2015

CHIEF ENGINEER

Since you asked. Long ago and far and very far away, the author as a young Chief Engineer. The sword was reserved for pirates which, regrettably, left us alone. This was stateside. You should have seen the skinny LT that came back from the Persian Gulf 6 months later.


David took the picture against the neutral wall of my dining room on First ST, San Diego, all the way back in 1987. This is the one I sent to the LCDR Board.

My mother really complained that she didn't have a single picture of me in uniform. Her bureau was covered with pictures of my father in uniform from West Point to Vietnam. Back then I was superstitious and figured that I could not die if the media couldn't trot out a photo of me. Remember, the media always seems to find the photo of the young dead Marine or Soldier wearing their uniform and I figured, WTF,  I could cheat death by refusing to give anyone a picture of me dressed in uniform.

Have you noticed how implacable mothers are?

3 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

I'd recognize you by the grin alone.

Nice picture Cap'n.

OldAFSarge said...

Sorry about the repeat comments. I think my computer has a concussion.

HMS Defiant said...

It's a picture of a picture.